VP of Engineering
Reports To: President
Revision Date: 8/25/2017
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Phoenix seeks an experienced engineering leader who can step in and lead our fast-growing, dynamic engineering team, deliver timely solutions to the market, and execute the challenging development activities on our comprehensive development roadmap. This person will be responsible for executing on the Company’s overall technology vision, shaping its technical strategy, and driving its development execution. This person will help recruit world-class talent, manage the appropriate development methodologies, and create the proper organizational structure to drive a high performing engineering team to deliver these applications to the market with relentless execution.
The VP of Engineering will keep abreast of and influence technology trends, standards, and stakeholders which will further enhance adoption and market share of Phoenix’s solutions, and work in tandem with the other members of the executive team as well as the marketing and management teams to further define our technology/application roadmap and deliver against it. This person will have the ability to bridge technology with business acumen and will develop and sustain a culture of passion, hard-work, and innovation that will make Phoenix the place to be for anyone interested in developing the advanced technical solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Define and communicate corporate plans, policies, and standards for the organization for acquiring, implementing, and designing new products Represent the technological agenda in Board meetings, staff meetings, and when making hiring decisions
- Provide strategic planning for all product development efforts to include the subsequent testing, release and production environment needs
- Recruit, manage and continuously develop through leadership and collaborative team building a world-class team of technology professionals
- Oversee technology design and participate in design review efforts
- Develop the budgets, partnerships and capital expenditures needs for the department
- Support Business Development efforts by participating in customer interface and in supplying relevant technical information to meet customer bid requirements.
- Provide overall strategy and technology direction for the development of applications and communication infrastructure supporting the Company’s solutions
- Ensure the knowledge sharing of engineering best practices across departments; and develop and monitor technical standards to ensure adherence to them.
- BS Degree in electrical, mechanical, or comparable technical degree. An advanced degree and/or an MBA is preferred.
- At least 12 years’ experience in a technical industry, both working in research or development environment and in product/manufacturing environment.
- Previous senior leadership roles in product or application development and engineering for high growth companies
- Excellent communication skills, strong team player, and the ability to work cross functionally in a fast-paced, high-productivity startup environment
- Experience in business processes such as product development, product release and quality control in an ISO 9001 or similar environment.
- Solid and proven customer relations skills. Familiarity with marketing platforms and programs
- Experience in a multi-product, multi-application development environment
Eligibility for employment is conditioned on an individual’s ability to qualify for access to information subject to U.S. Export Controls regulations (U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, Asylee or Refugee). Also, an individual’s eligibility may be conditioned based upon access to information classified under the Atomic Energy Act requiring pre-employment drug test, fingerprinting, and a criminal background check.